Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Recipe Remix: Time To Get Creative!

Bet you can't have just one bite
If you are anything like me, you go to the refrigerator after a holiday and realize you have bits and pieces of the actual meal but not all the ingredients to make that same menu for leftovers. Instead of letting those leftover containers take up precious space in the refrigerator until garbage day it's the perfect time to get creative and come up with something new without cooking anything, maybe just a little reheating though. You never know, you may just come up with a genius idea that everyone will fall in love with.

So there I am after dinner still a little hungry and in need of something sweet. I actually think I have two stomachs, one for regular meals and another one for dessert because no matter how full I am after dinner I always have room for dessert. I think this comes from my Dad's side because he has a sweet tooth just like me and no meal is complete without dessert, preferably Pecan Pie or Bread Pudding if you give him his choice. As I am alternating opening both the freezer and refrigerator trying to find what will satisfy my cravings I see two parts of the weekends desserts and it hits me, "What is better than Strawberry Shortcake and Red, White, and Blueberry Cheesecake Bites?" A combination of the two, of course. And just like that, out comes the leftover cheesecake mixture (see Patriotic Treats: Red, White and Blueberry for the Cheesecake recipe) and the strawberries from the Strawberry Shortcake. Making the strawberries is as simple as 1 lb. of strawberries, 1/2 cup of fine sugar and 2 tbsp water mixed together and allowed to rest at least an hour and then 1 tbsp of lemon juice added right before serving. So easy and yummy to make.

Now I have these two leftover components of my original desserts, far too delicious to let waste, and my mouth is watering at just the thought of this delicious creation that will soon be on my spoon and in my tummy. I take the cheesecake mixture still in my homemade piping bag and start in the center and go around the plate in a circles starting inside going towards the outside until I reach halfway (or all the way) on the plate. Then I take the sweet and juicy strawberry concoction and spoon it over the top of the cheesecake. Add a mint leaf  and Voila! You have dessert in a matter of minutes and you look like a genius to your friends and family, or at least a hero for a day.

1 comment:

  1. Its just Ralph againAugust 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM

    Mmmmmmm.... I am totally gonna use this one... And aside from the great idea, u are an amazing writer as well... :)

    ReplyDelete