Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pho To Go

Three weeks ago my brother introduced me to Pho, a Vietnamese soup with rice noodles, veggies and your choice of either beef, chicken or seafood, served in a beef broth along with a plethora of garnishes served on the side. I really wasn't sure what to think when he walked in the house with a large box and what looked like way too many containers for two people. I thought I had agreed to soup and had no idea what else was in this large mystery box and what I had agreed too. As my brother pulled container after container out of the box my interest and excitement grew. What was this wonderful thing that I was about to be introduced to?
After he had set out two (very large) bowls I was starting to wonder what I agreed to. I mean I love ice cream but I can't even eat a bowl that large of ice cream so how was I going to eat a bowl that large filled will Pho, a soup I had no idea about. My brother started his Pho instructional seminar handing me first a container of carrots, broccoli, cilantro and scallions ( I chose an all veggie Pho) which I poured into my large bowl followed by a container of beef broth, that does not come from a box or can but is instead simmered with love in a pot with beef bones oxtails, onions, garlic and various spices.After this he gave me a Ziploc baggie filled with limes, bean sprouts, jalapenos and Thai basil to pour into my growing concoction. By now all the smells from these various containers were starting to come together in a symphony of smells as they hit the hot beef broth creating a marriage of flavors. I was so excited that I was practically drooling but I had to wait even longer because there were still a few garnishes to add including plum sauce, peanuts and chili sauce. I love hot but hot doesn't love me so the chili sauce and jalapenos are omitted in my soup.
So finally, everything has been added and stirred together and it was time for me to finally take my first bite of what I was already imagining to be amazing. Amazing can't even explain the taste that I experienced and continued to experience with each bite. It was aromatic and flavorful and you could taste the richness of the home cooked beef broth. It was so incredible that I could not stop even though I was full because each bite was different than the last. With no bite the same how could I possibly stop and miss another incredible combination that came out of my bowl. Needless to say, Pho is now a weekly part of my menu and after introducing my mom and step-dad to Pho it is now a week night meal. Just the preparation alone of your individual bowls becomes a fun family experience everyone gathered around talking, adding ingredients and bartering extra bean sprouts for Thai basil. It would even be a fun girls night in.

Where to go to get this delightful soup if you live in my area:
Pho' N Seafood
924 N. Court Street
Visalia, CA 93291
(559) 732-3663

My family and I each creating our perfect Pho creation

No comments:

Post a Comment