Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Garlic Fries! Get Your Garlic Fries!

Leaving the baseball game the other night I was left with this empty feeling that I could not shake. This feeling that something was missing and as I crawled into my comfy bed and plush pillows it hit me. Garlic Fries! Ha ha, you thought I was going to get all mushy and emotional didn't you? Fooled you. Now back to the fries. How could I sit through an entire baseball game (okay I admit it, I left a little early) without my coveted garlic fries. It was so un-San Franciscan of me. So as I laid there I decided that this craving had to be fulfilled and fast and since a four hour drive to San Francisco's AT&T Park to get to the Gilroy Garlic Fries food stand was out of the question, the ball was in my mitt.
That next morning I woke up with a mission in mind. After a little research I came to the conclusion that everyone has their own recipe for how they think these very specific fries are made. I have only had them a million and one times but I had a pretty good idea about how they are cooked and their ingredients. I know the one important key piece to these fries is that the garlic is raw and not cooked. another important piece to the puzzle is that the fries must be added to the garlic-parsley mixture hot out of the fryer.
Armed with my new knowledge and past garlic fries experience I headed to the grocery store to get all the ingredients to accomplish my goal and curb my craving. After a little testing, this is the recipe that I came up that satisfied my taste buds and mentally took me to the outfield bleachers of the Giants ballpark.

Garlic Fries
Serves 4
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes

Garlic-Parsley Mixture
5 tbsp minced garlic
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp kosher salt

4 Russet potatoes
Vegetable oil for frying
Kosher salt

Directions:
Wash the potatoes thoroughly and cut the potatoes into planks approximately ½ in. thickness. Drop the cut potatoes in a bowl of water and let sit covered for 20-30 minutes. Drain and dry the potatoes.


In a large bowl mix the ingredients for the garlic-parsley mixture and set aside.

In batches, drop the potatoes in a deep fryer set to 375 degrees. Let potatoes fry for 2 minutes and then lift them to let them drain. Do this two more times until golden brown and cooked through. After the third time take the fries out and pour onto a sheet pan lined with paper towels. While still hot sprinkle with salt and place into the garlic-parsley mixture and gently toss to coat. The best way I found to incorporate the fries in the mixture and avoid breaking the fries is to toss them in the large bowl not using a spoon or cooking utensil but instead by flipping them in the bowl utilizing a wrist motion of going forward and up.  


Helpful Hint of the Day: Sprinkle from about a foot above what you are salting to distribute more evenly and avoid overly salted areas and naked areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment