Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Conquering My Fear of Risotto

If you are a loyal Top Chef fan then you know risotto is the kiss of death, the thing which has sent many amazing chefs home. Knowing this, risotto has been one of the recipes that sparked fear in my heart. If these experts failed then how could an amateur like me dare to attempt it. But then a part of brain, the one which controls my stomach and its many craving and desires, urged me to attempt this creamy and delicious wonder. So I did my research and watched a couple of episodes on Food Network of various chefs and their risotto masterpieces. Armed with my new knowledge and increasing confidence, and hopefully a little beginners luck, I set out to conquer my risotto fear. I decided on a Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto, two of my favorite ingredients, coming together for a rustic and delicious combination. For the meat lovers in my family I topped it with tender slices of Filet Mignon. From the empty plates, and my family helping themselves to seconds and even thirds, I took my newest creation to be a success. If you love risotto but have been scared to attempt it, it is time to get in the kitchen, try this recipe, and watch the smiles on your guest's faces as they spoon each rich, creamy, delicious bite to their mouth.


Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto with Pan Seared Filet Mignon

Serves 6
Prep time: 30 minutes                                             Cook time: approximately 45 minutes

Risotto
1 oz. pasta blend dried mushrooms (porcini and shitake)
½ pound fresh cremini mushrooms
1 bunch of asparagus
6 cups chicken stock
3 oz. diced pancetta
½ pound unsalted butter
1 cup chopped shallots
1 tbsp fresh thyme (4 sprigs)
2 cups Arborio rice
¾ cup Chardonnay
1 ½ tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp parsley for garnish

Filet Mignon
6- 6 oz. cuts of filet mignon
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil


 Directions

 Boil 2 cups of water and pour in a bowl with the dried mushroom blend and let sit to the side for 30 minutes.

 Meanwhile prep the rest of your ingredients. Prepare you cremini mushrooms by wiping off any dirt using a slightly damp cloth (do not ever rinse your mushrooms), removing the stems and giving them a thick slice. Dice the pancetta and finely chop shallots. Remove thyme leave from the sprigs and give them a rough chop.

To prepare the asparagus snap each asparagus stalk where it breaks naturally. For time purposes you can also snap one and then place the asparagus stalk even with the rest of the bunch and cut the entire bunch at the breaking point. Cut the asparagus into bite size pieces approximately ¾ inch to 1 inch but leave the asparagus spears whole.

In a separate pot warm the chicken stock to a slow simmer.

After letting the mushrooms sit for 30 minutes and reconstitute, remove the mushrooms using a slotted spoon and reserve the liquid. Give the mushrooms a quick rinse under running water and then cut mushrooms so they are the same size as the sliced cremini’s. Run the reserved liquid through a mesh strainer to get rid of any dirt and grit. Add the liquid to the chicken stock.

On medium heat in a large nonstick stockpot melt butter and add the pancetta and shallots and sauté until soft approximately 4-5 minutes. Add all the mushrooms to the pot as well as the thyme and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the Arborio rice to the pot and stir it so that butter coats it all. After the rice is thoroughly coated add the wine and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add ½ cup (approximately 2 ladles) of the chicken stock into the rice mixture and stir until it is absorbed. Add the salt and pepper. Continue to add ½ cup of the chicken stock stirring the mixture until it is absorbed and then adding more. Continue the process of adding the chicken stock ever few minutes. When you are have all but the last ½ cup of stock left simmering in the separate saucepan add the asparagus to the rice mixture making sure to stir it.  Add the last of the chicken stock and you have reached a creamy consistency with the rice. Make sure the rice is cooked through but not mushy. You are looking for al dente. Turn off the heat and add the Parmesan cheese stirring it so that it melts. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Pour the risotto into a large bowl or on a large platter.

Season both sides of the meat to taste. Take room temperature butter and coat the both the top and bottom of the steak. Add olive oil to a large sauté pan on high heat. When the pan is nice and hot add the steaks letting them cook for 3 minutes each side for a rare steak and 4-5 minutes for medium-rare. You can also use a thermometer and remove the steaks from the pan when they have reached an internal temperature of 120° for rare. Let the steaks rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing the steaks to let the juices redistribute. Fan the steaks on top of the risotto and garnish with chopped parsley for presentation.

Like dessert, risotto is the kiss of death, the thing which has sent many amazing chefs home on Top Chef. Knowing this, risotto has been one of the recipes that sparked fear in my heart. If these experts failed then how an amateur like me could dare to attempt it. But then a part of brain, the one which controls my stomach and its many craving and desires, urged me to attempt this creamy and delicious wonder. So I did my research and watched a couple of episodes on Food Network of various chefs and their risotto masterpieces. Armed with my new knowledge and increasing confidence, and hopefully a little beginners luck, I set out to conquer my risotto fear. I decided on a Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto, two of my favorite ingredients, coming together for a rustic and delicious combination. For the meat lovers in my family I topped it with tender slices of Filet Mignon. From the empty plates, and my family helping themselves to seconds and even thirds, I took my newest creation to be a success. If you love risotto but have been scared to attempt it, it is time to get in the kitchen, try this recipe, and watch the smiles on your guest's faces as they spoon each rich, creamy, delicious bite to their mouth.

1 comment:

  1. Guess who? Oh its Ralph again..August 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

    I have always wanted to try cooking this.. I watch Hell's Kitchen every season, and its the same thing with the other show u spoke of... If u can't cook this, u can't win the competition... When I feel brave to try and cook this, I will cook it YOUR way friend! :)

    ReplyDelete