Monday, June 25, 2012

I Introduce To You... "The Bobbie"

Capriotti's World Famous Sandwich "The Bobbie"
The last time I came to Las Vegas for a visit was a couple of months ago, and my life changed. Don't worry it wasn't in a get married to a complete stranger or anything that would make my parents cringe and want to disown me sort of way. It was for a completely PG reason. I come to Vegas for the food...and shopping, because if I am going to spend money it is either going into my tummy or in my closet. I am spoiled when I come to Vegas to visit because I have a good friend who is a fellow foodie and takes me to local spots and hole in the wall places that most people do not get the luck of enjoying because they stay on The Las Vegas Strip. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing places on The Strip. Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill in Caesars had the best brunch I have ever had and the most amazing flavor profiles. Craft Steak in the MGM had a perfectly cooked and extremely tender Filet Mignon along with amazing side dishes and Tom Colicchio's sandwich place (he also owns Craft Steak) also in the MGM, Witchcraft, has killer sandwich.Even the buffet in Vegas are to die for, especiallly the seafood Buffet at the Aria and the buffet at the Rio never dissapoints.  I could go on but that would take up a lot of space and I don't want your head to explode or to distract from the real object of this post. So with that I go to my main point... "The Bobbie".

We all love Thanksgiving with all the yummy, makes your tummy and soul happy food, especially the leftovers for the next week, so what if you could enjoy Thanksgiving everyday of the year. Well you can in a sandwich sort of way. When I first heard about this sandwich that essentially delivers Thanksgiving on a hoagie roll I was a bit skeptical because I didn't quite know what to expect and how it could be accomplished, or at least accomplished well. And maybe more than just be executed but done so successfully. I can only say one thing about "The Bobbie" from Capriotti's, it was a life changer! With the first bite of its delicousness and perfect harmony of flavors it was love at first bite. They use the perfect roll to bring it all together and not overtake the ingredients that are showcased within its bready barriers but acts as the perfect platform to bring it all together.

With my impending visit to Vegas all I could think of was one thing, okay maybe two things but the first is my secret, "The Bobbie". Part of me was a little apprehensive about ordering it again because what if it wasn't as good as the first time, or what if I had been making it more in my head than I remembered. With the first bite all those doubts were put to rest. It truly is amazing, delicious and one of a kind. As I bit into the hoagie, tasting the perfectly roasted pieces of turkey (both dark and white meat), tasty bits of cool flavorful stuffing and the balance of sweet and tart in the cranberry sauce (real cranberry sauce not the jellied can stuff) and a touch of mayo, I melted into a food comma where the only thing in my life at that moment was this delicious sandwich. I didn't even want to share with Daisy which should tell you it was that good.

While every individual ingredient is great on its own, it is the melding of all into the perfect bite that truly makes it so special. The make it or break it ingredient has to be the cranberry sauce though. You can't just pick just any cranberry sauce and try to emulate "The Bobbie" and this where I am stuck in making it at home. I can't find a cranberry sauce with the right balance that brings to the my imitated sandwich that the cranberry sauce does to "The Bobbie". So I will continue in my search for the perfect cranberry sauce. Oh darn I guess that means that I will have to keep sampling "The Bobbie" at Capriotti's each time I visit until I get it right. It's a tough job but someone has to do it, and I am just happy that that person is me.
To find a Capriotti's near you visit Capriotti's Sandwich Shop at http://www.capriottis.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Wish I would have know about this before the last night of my recent trip! Will definitely check out next time in Vegas. Thanks for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete