Saturday, June 23, 2012

There Are Guests at the Door, Now What?

If you are anything like me then you too have an open door policy to friends and family to stop by anytime unannounced. I have a big family and with everyone living within miles of each other it is always a treat when someone is in the neighborhood and decides to stop in. I usually cook a little extra when it comes to dinner time because I never know who might stop by when word has spread that I am cooking that night. I love these surprise visits and they usually end up to be those night you go to sleep with a smile on your face because of a great conversation, a funny moment or good news.

I know this isn't for everyone though and just the thought of having a group of friend over for appetizers or an unannounced guest can bring a feeling of anxiety mixed with terror. You don't have to pull your hair out and run around crazy, stressing about what to you are going to do. I am here to give you a simple solution so next time this happens you will have a "no sweat" attitude and actually enjoy yourself.  The biggest decision you will have to make is what to wear, which I can't really help with so that my friend is up to you.

My tried and true solution masters the art of providing an enviable array of appetizers to surprise guests or having company over, whether it's a Bible study, book club or just a cocktails and appetizers kind of evening with friends. It works for all of theses different settings and it's really easy yet so super chic and sophisticated that people our going to think it took you awhile. If anyone says anything to that extent, just smile, give them a little wave of your hand and tell them "It was nothing," because no one really needs to know that it took a matter of minutes to throw it all together. It can be our little secret, unless your friends read this blog as well, then just hope he or she doesn't tell the rest of the guests how easy your appetizer spread really was.

So the moment you have been waiting for with much anticipation. I can see you at the edge of your seats already so I wont make you wait any longer. My secrets to being the Hostess with the Mostess without breaking a sweat or messing up your manicure.

1. I always have cheese and crackers and some type of artisan deli meat, such as salami or prosciutto, in my refrigerator because it it so easy to throw together a quick platter of meat, cheese and crackers. My favorite is the Carr's Cracked Black Pepper Table Water Crackers, Pepper Jack cheese and the Columbus Artisan combination meat package with Dry Coppa, Salami, Pepper Salami, and Prosciutto. When I have the time and know about guests ahead of time, I like to cut the Prosciutto in half and fold the Prosciutto and Dry Coppa into flowers when I assemble the the platter as you can see below.
Carr's Cracked Black Pepper Table Water Crackers, Pepper Jack cheese and the
Columbus Artisan combination meat package with Dry Coppa, Salami, Pepper Salami, and Prosciutto
2. I also like to keep marinated artichokes, olives and bocconcini (mini mozzarella balls) in the house because it is a super quick appetizer. All you need is to pour the artichokes and bocconcini together in a bowl and another side of olives and some toothpicks and in under 5 minutes you have an appetizer that tastes and looks much more complicated than it really is. Fancy china and plates helps.
Marinated Artichokes and Bocconcini
3. Easy appetizer number three is hummus and pita chips. You can make your own or you can get Hummus at the grocery store and a bag of pita chips. Put the hummus in a small bowl and then pour the pita chips on a plate around the hummus and Voila!, you have yourself an appetizer. I told you it would be easy
Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus topped with Sun dried Tomatoes and Red Peepers with Baked Pita Chips
4. A wheel of brie cheese with a Blackberry-Jalapeno Jam or Mango- Chili Pepper Jam on top of the brie with sliced baguette bread or crackers and sliced green apples. I find these gourmet jams at the Farmer's Market. Try tasting all the jams that they have to offer to see which one you like the best and keep it in the fridge for the perfect time when guests show up that were just around the neighborhood. I like to warm the Brie cheese up just slightly or let it come to room temperature. If you have the time and are planning ahead, wrap the Brie in store bought Puff Pastry, brush an egg wash over it and place it in the oven at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes varying on oven until slightly brown.

5. Fruit is always a great go to appetizer as well. It is something that many of us have in our houses so it is just a matter of cutting it and placing it on a platter.

6. I love the idea of a signature drink, whether it be alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage, to have at the drink station. If it is for a special gathering try to think of something that has to do with the guest of honor or gathering itself.

7. My last little piece of advice is to set-up a beverage station with water and soda, or coffee and tea, or wine and beer, whatever works the best with your company. And setting up the station keeps you from playing bartender and not enjoy spending time with your guests and miss all the good conversation.

Now just add napkins and small appetizer plates and you are all set. You can mingle with your guests and not feel stuck in the kitchen, trying to make a complicated appetizer that takes prep and cook time, and my menu is mostly items you already have just sitting there in the refrigerator or cupboards.The great thing about all of these items is that they either have a long shelf life or wont go to waste because who doesn't like prosciutto and cheese.

2 comments:

  1. All great ideas, I really like the meat put into flower shapes. That's the first time I have seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this... I had no idea u were so good with food!! Impressive... :)

    ReplyDelete